There was a bag of lentils in my pantry that have been yelling at me for a while to use them. I couldn’t think of anything to do with them! Lentils are a protein, fiber, and nutrients. One 1/4 serving can give a woman 90% of her recommended amount of folic acid. Lentils are an inexpensive powerhouse and that’s what I like about them!
This recipe is super simple and super cheap. You could probably add some chicken or shrimp to make it a meal.
1-2 cloves of garlic
1 small onion
1 can of pineapple (chunks or tidbits) with the juice
1 cup of dried lentils
1-2 leaves of kale (optional)
1. Soak lentils in water for 30 minutes then drain.
2. Drizzle olive oil in hot pan. Chop garlic and onion. Add to pan and saute until soft.
3. Add lentils and can of pineapple. Cook until liquid is almost gone.
4. Wash kale and remove stem. Rip or chop into small pieces before adding to pan.
5. Cook for about 10 minutes until all is soft. Add season salt to taste.
Serves 3-4 as a side dish.
The heartiness of the lentils is softened by the sweet pineapple. This dish is awesome hot or cold. The kale adds some extra greens and some awesome nutrition to the dish as well as taste. Kale is another superfood that should be in everyone’s diet! Pineapple lentils can be on the table in less than 45 and that includes the soak time! Soak in advance and you are looking at a quick side dish in 15 minutes tops. It’s a healthy hearty dish that is certain to please any crowd.
What are your favorite recipes for lentils?
Entry filed under: Uncategorized.